4.20.2009

Love People

So I was people watching all day yesterday since I flew from Wichita through Atlanta to Orlando.  My prayer all day was that I would see people like Jesus sees people.  Be careful when you pray that.  There are a lot of hurting people in our world.  God gave me a window into fractured marriages hurting students, confused and bitter people.  I did get to see some joy and some laughter.  One thing that struck me was just how isolated we in America have become.  Most people sit in an airport surrounded by life, and do everything they can to disconnect from it.  They listen to the ipod or read a book or check the email.  I saw very few conversations.  So then I was convicted, b/c I am the same way.  Even though I didn't have my book out or ear buds in, I was still just observing people, instead of engaging them.  I must admit loving people is hard work.  Lets face it loving us is hard work.  I want to issue a challenge, a challenge to engage the world around you.  I not saying start going door to door or anything like that, but at least have some conversation with those God has placed around you.  

I will leave you with this story.  So after feeling convicted while sitting in the airport, I did what I rarely do, and I immediately obeyed, and did what I thought God wanted me to do.  I began to engage with the people around me.  Some blew me off but others were willing to talk.  I got to talk with a lady who was trying hard to disconnect and when she finally started talking I could tell that she really wanted to connect.  Turns out it was the lady's head basketball coach for the University of Central Florida.  Joy is her name and she has a tough job, with lots of people to impress, and I could tell she works hard at it.  Our conversation wasn't deep or very long but after just a few moments of talking I knew how I could pray for her.  God wants us to be His representatives in this world and to do that we have to engage people.  

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of my cousin's husband. He is a great example of how to love people. Every time we go to dinner, he tells our waiter/waitress we are going to bless the food and asks if there's anything we can pray about for them. We have never gotten a negative response...usually just surprise followed by a quick answer and a thank you. Every once in a while, they will come back later on in the meal and have thought of something more specific that they need prayer for. Sometimes we stop and pray right then, other times we just assure them that they will be in our prayers. They always seem appreciative and it's a quick simple way to show God's love to them.

    ReplyDelete