5.11.2009

Leaving all to follow...

So I was reading in Matthew this morning and came across a very familiar passage that hit me in a fresh way this morning.  Matthew 4:18-22 is the story of Jesus calling his first Disciples.  

While walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. 19And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." 20Immediately they left their nets and followed him. 21And going on from there he saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee and John his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets, and he called them. 22Immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.

There is something to be said about the commitment of those men who left everything to follow a man they knew little about.  I think the appeal for adventure and something new drew them in.  Plus the fact that this was no ordinary man who was asking them to follow.  I wonder sometimes if they had any idea what they were getting themselves into.  These were ordinary men who God would use to start an extraordinary movement that continues to this day.  

It is my belief that God is calling some of you to join us in this adventure to Journey The Way of Christ, and to see lives forever changed by the power of the gospel.  I don't know what you will have to leave behind, but I do know that the ride will be wild.  1 Corinthians 11:1 Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.

Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment